Blanket Bloggersphere Notice

26DEC09


I've started a tumblr micro-blog for my quick and dirty photos and posts. I'll still blog over here at Blogger in the future for more wordy and formatted posts.


Updated: 22NOV2010



- - -

Blog updates still in 'suspension'. Busy and unfocused.



Sorry to non-existent patrons of this blog.

Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Sanetu ZDP-189 165mm santoku

IMG_8051

165mm santoku made by Sanetu. Softer stainless steel cladding over a ZDP-189 core; it boasts some crazy numbers, 3% carbon and 20% chromium powdered steel hardened to HRC 64-66. ZDP-189 is more or less identical in composition to the Crowy-X used in Hattori KDs. Fitted with nice cocobolo scales and a solid stainless steel bolster.

IMG_8056IMG_8065IMG_8063IMG_8060

IMG_8072It’s my first santoku, and I was hasten about using such a short knife. And I’m not wrong about my foresight, my personal preference is still to over-9” blades as a main go to knife.

But having said that I’ve only used it once, not tried to sharpen it the tough ZDP-189 core; I will say it I like the cocobolo scales which is so much nicer than the resin-impregnated staminawood and pakkawood scales usually installed on Japanese knives. This has become my first collector’s knife, may or may not use it in the future.

I paid USD$146.70 for it during JCK’s annual X’Mas sale, they sell at $163; a 180mm KD santoku while being a very different knife compared to the Sanetu, sells for $940 (as of 24SEP08).

No comments:

Music to read posts to... (Use the pop-out player especially when 'jumping' posts.)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones