Blanket Bloggersphere Notice

26DEC09


I've started a tumblr micro-blog for my quick and dirty photos and posts. I'll still blog over here at Blogger in the future for more wordy and formatted posts.


Updated: 22NOV2010



- - -

Blog updates still in 'suspension'. Busy and unfocused.



Sorry to non-existent patrons of this blog.

Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Monday 22 September 2008

Hiromoto HC 120mm Petty

Here's is my Hiromoto HC-1 120mm Petty; high carbon steel (SK-4) blade hardened to HRC60 with a stainless steel bolster and Pakka wood scales. Does all the crazy sharp things carbon steel can do and easy to sharpen as always. This becomes my standard paring knife with the Victorinox sheepfoot paring knife for those skin tingling manoeuvres.
I forced patina on these little baby overnight with some leftover cider vinegar, even after one hour it got some matte black patina. This knife is certainly more reactive than HC-5 Gyuto for some reason, could be the different forced patina methods. Update: Date of commissioning: 14DEC07 Date of death: 23APR08 In an attempt to reduce the blade height and straighten the edge profile, I bent the very thin blade just ahead of the bolster while bearing down on it on a DMT D8XX diamond plate. I had noticed the bend and tried to correct it by bending it the other direction... thus snapping my favourite petty. Lest we forget.

No comments:

Music to read posts to... (Use the pop-out player especially when 'jumping' posts.)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones